Getting a new tattoo involves breaking the skin surface so there is always a potential risk for infection to occur afterwards. Your tattoo should be treated as a wound initially and it is important that this advice is followed so that the infection risk can be minimised.
- Avoid unnecessary touching, scratching or picking of the new tattoo area to reduce the risk of introducing infection
- Always wash and dry your hands before and after handling a new tattoo
- Your new tattoo will consist of an area of tiny skin breaks, caused by the tattooing needles, so it should be kept covered afterwards for at least an hour using the sterile, non-adherent dressing, application by the tattooist. This dressing is only intended to get your home without the treated area catching on clothing or being exposed to the air. The dressing will also help to stop any bleeding/fluid oozing but should be removed before it dried on the treated area.
- After removal of the dressing, gently wash the tattoo area with warm tap water and pat dry with a clean hand towel. Do not rub as the skin can become irritated.
- Use only the aftercare products that your tattooist has recommended. You may apply your aftercare product 2-3 times a day to assist healing and prevent skin cracking. There is generally no need to use any other skin creams/antiseptic products and you should not share skin products with others.
- If possible, shower rather than bathe whilst the tattoo is healing so that unnecessary water exposure is prevented.
- After approximately two weeks, any scabbing should have gone and been replaced with new intact skin. The area should be completely healed in a further 10-14 days
- Avoid swimming, sun beds and sun bathing until your new tattoo is fully healed, as direct sunlight/chlorine can interact with tattoo dye pigments causing skin irritation and inflammation.
- Try to wear loose, cotton clothing to minimise rubbing and irritation to a new tattoo.
- Always keep a new tattoo covered and protected if working in a dirty/ dusty/oily environment.
- If you have any problems/queries, contact us initially. We will refer you onto your GP if there are signs of adverse reaction/infection.
Immortal Aftercare Cream
El Gato Negro
All of our aftercare can be purchased in
the studio or shipped to anywhere in the UK!